Usually plays from internal battery now using a very thin mains plugged into HDMI port Source is his Apple iTunes via his phone.
Mains makes a difference !
Then I had to laugh
Our man says "I find it sounds better when plugged into the left hand socket"
Assumed he was taking the mickey out of me as I may well have said that in conversation about systems No, dead serious. Left hand socket is usually the one with the earth connected directly and I have found that best
Similarly, pushing a chassis back home into its case while having forgotten to unplug the bloody thing and allowing my finger to slip underside and touch the mains switch connections caused me to do the dance-of-imminent-destruction for a couple of seconds. It must have looked funny but I was kinda busy at the time.
When I was 6, we had an extension built on our house. While the builder was doing the work he had sockets and their metal back boxes hanging by the cables in the exposed stud walls.
I found a used jigsaw blade on the floor and decided to start sticking it in the back of the socket and metal box. There was a bang and a flash and I was now standing about 2 meters from the socket, the jigsaw blade was welded to the metal box and the power had gone in the house. The builder came running In, relieved to see me alive.
For us oldies - I remember the old 2-round-pin bakelite plugs. The wires were usually just twisted onto the pins and it was extremely easy to get a shock when accidentally touching the pins while plugging in. Saving grace was that: a. I think they were only rated for about 6 amps b. People like me who regularly messed with electrics sort of got used to getting shocked every now and then
Cyrus StreamX Signature, DACXP Signature, PSX-R2, Bryston 4BSST2, Kef Reference model 3~2
I've lost track of the number of belts I've had over the years. The one from the HT in an old CRT telly was quite memorable.
Teleprinters (I'm old, live with it) were "fun" too. They transmitted using +80v and -80v and when working with one's hands between the tag blocks it was easy to get a shock, which jerked one's hand into another block of pointy metal tags, which repeated the electrocution and threw one's hand back where it had just come from, which meant another shock... repeat (almost) ad infinitum. In those days every jumper cable was soldered to its tags too, so it often meant working with a pair of (metal) pliers and a (metal) soldering iron in a gap a few inches wide. You can see a tag block below. The left-hand side was permanently wired, and the jumpers were run to the tags on the right. Now imagine one of those on each side of your hand, and having your hand batted between them at 75 Baud, or 75 bits/second for the sake of argument.
"Tag rash" was a common injury. Engineers were actually issued with a special leather "glove" to wear so as to avoid the shocks. Nobody ever remembered to wear them.
Teleprinters (I'm old, live with it) were "fun" too. They transmitted using +80v and -80v
Oh yes, I remember them well (I'm old, too).
I've had several belts but the worst came from early switched mode power supplies. I quickly learned how to deal with them and my colleagues were a little afraid so I became the repair specialist. Most repairs went well but a jolt from about 350VDC is something to remember. The best entertainment was had when a high voltage reservoir cap blew its top, causing the entire room to snow with white fluff just after the loud crack putting much underwear at risk.